The George C. Thomas Memorial Library on First
Avenue, dates back to the year 1909.
By that time, the reading room at St. Matthew's
Church was overflowing. A Philadelphia banker and Episcopal layman named George Thomas
offered to subsidize a bigger library.
According to Terrence Cole in the historical society
publication "Ghosts of the Gold Rush,'' George Thomas thought that
"it would be splendid
if the prospectors of the far north had a place where they could enjoy their
For 68 years this was Fairbanks' only public library. In 1977 the
collection was moved to the new Noel Wien Library. The Thomas Library
was then used as a business property, but was recently sold to a
long time Alaskan and entrepreneur, who has plans for a mining library.
will put up more information about his plans for this historic
building, as soon as we are informed.